Play therapy makes a difference. Play is an enjoyable, fun activity that elevates our spirits and brightens our outlook on life. Play relieves feelings of stress and boredom, and, most importantly, helps us express ourselves.
What is Play Therapy?
Play therapy refers to a large number of treatment methods, all applying the therapeutic benefits of play. Play therapy helps children to address and resolve their own problems, and builds on the natural way that children learn about themselves and their relationships in the world around them.
The Association for Play Therapy defines play therapy as the, “systematic use of a theoretical model to establish an interpersonal process wherein trained play therapists use the therapeutic powers of play to help clients prevent or resolve psychosocial difficulties and achieve optimal growth and development.”
How does Play Therapy help?
Play therapy helps children:
• Become more responsible for their behaviors and develop more successful strategies
• Develop new and creative solutions to problems
• Develop respect and acceptance of self and others
• Learn to experience and express emotion
• Cultivate empathy and respect for the thoughts and feelings of others
• Learn new social skills and relational skills with family
• Develop self-efficacy and a better assuredness about their abilities
Play therapy has been proven to nourish the growth and development in children. The practice of play therapy requires extensive specialized education, training, and experience. At Brightside, we are proud to employ clinicians who not only possess this skill, but utilize it with passion.
If you’re interested in learning more about play therapy and how it can help your child grow, contact us today for a consultation.